Last Updated on by Eat Better Move More
What medications can raise blood sugar levels? Are you taking any of them?
Medicines are life saviour for some and cure their problems. According to studies, only in the USA, 131 million people take medications daily.
It explains how medicines have taken over our lives. Nevertheless, what if these medications cause more complexities. Eventually, people suffering from the side-effects of their daily medicines. What if you come to know that a prescribed drug has turned you a diabetic?
Fairly stated by someone, “Poisons and medicines are the same many times as the same substance given with different intents.”
Important to realize that it’s their side-effects making them work as poison to someone. Surprisingly, some medications prescribed for blood pressure cause high blood sugar. Therefore, it is considerable to know, ‘ What medications can raise blood sugar levels?‘
Older people and people with some chronic diseases take regular medicines. One is supposed to be informed about the medicines one is taking.
What medications can raise blood sugar levels? Know everything about your medicines.
In the following article, we have tried to cover all the queries related to ‘what medications can raise blood sugar levels?‘.
Do vitamins and supplements raise blood sugar?
Yes, it is crucial to understand what vitamins and supplements raise blood sugar style=”font-weight: 400;”>? Five main supplements are listed below-
Prescribed drugs are not the only culprits that can raise blood sugars. There are some common supplements taken to enhance our health, that is known to mess up individuals with diabetes. Here are some of the most widely recognized.
- Niacin, or nutrient B3- is regularly taken to help lessen cholesterol. However, can be utilized to help various ailments. Yet, when taken in high portions, this enhancement can cause Hyperglycaemia by affecting glucose resilience inside the body.
- Melatonin– This is a common hormone taken as a sleep-help. Notwithstanding blood pressure, melatonin can likewise build insulin obstruction while diminishing glucose take-up into the cells.
- DHEA is taken to treat or support various conditions from erectile dysfunction to lupus. However, this hormone can likewise influence glucose levels by expanding insulin obstruction and fat levels in the body.
- Hormones or supplements to help memory or psychological problems may also trigger high blood sugar levels.
While not considered usually as a supplement, caffeine shows up habitually in enhancements intended to support energy and help in weight reduction. Furthermore, the high consumption of this energizer increment insulin opposition, resulting in an increase in blood sugar levels.
Is there any relation between antidepressants and blood sugar levels?
The use of antidepressants has been increased significantly over the years. These medicines release soothing hormones which may cause hyperglycaemia.
Notwithstanding, it is important to note that not every such medicine triggers blood sugar levels.
Antidepressant and blood sugar levels possess an unhealthy relationship. Medicines including fluvoxamine (Luvox), mirtazapine (Remeron), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), SSRIs, and tricyclic antidepressants interfere with blood glucose escalating the risk of hypoglycaemia.
It is extremely commended to consult your doctor ahead of using these medicines.
Antibiotics and blood sugar levels
Antibiotics are invaluable. Antibiotics and blood sugar levels have a direct relation. Numerous antibiotics are considered bad for blood sugar. Moreover, ciprofloxacin, clarithromycin, levofloxacin, metronidazole, or sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim provide swings to your blood sugar.
According to a study published in October 2013 in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases certain antibiotics that are generally used in treating Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) and a kind of pneumonia including fluoroquinolones and pentamidine may result in hyperglycaemic episodes.
Common medicines that stimulate blood sugar
Know your medicines before consuming in to help you not getting an ailment due to your drugs. Herewith some research, we have attached a list of the common medications that can raise blood sugar levels. One should consult a medical professional before taking these.
- Several medicines provoke to lower the blood pressure like such as beta-blockers and thiazide diuretics provoke blood sugar.
- Steroids (also called corticosteroids) to treat diseases caused by inflammation, arthritis, and allergies like hydrocortisone and prednisone. However, steroid creams usually safe to use.
- Contraceptive pills
- Drugs used for mental problems such as clozapine, olanzapine, risperidone, and quetiapine.
- Statins to lower cholesterol
- Certain medicines to treat HIV and hepatitis C
- Adrenaline for severe allergies
- High doses of injections of asthma medicines
- Isotretinoin used for acne treatment
- Tacrolimus prescribed after an organ transplant
- A few Cough syrups if taken for long may prompt blood sugar. Surprisingly, these are equally harmful whether taken regular or sugar- free.
- Common cough and cold, as well as numerous medicines, are given for a common flu cause spike in sugar.
What Medications Can Raise Blood Sugar Levels Conclusion:
Prevention is always better than cure. Nowadays more than half of the population in the world is taking any kind of medicine.
Medicines should always be used to heal and not give birth to more complexities. Henceforth, it is essential to be informed about your drugs. Diabetics are supposed to be conscious about what medications can raise their blood sugar levels.
Subsequently, it is rather essential to tell your medical expert about every single drug you take, regardless of whether taken self or recommended by another specialist. They may provide options to help you have an elective prescription that is better for your glucose levels or, then again, basically assist you with dealing with your glucose regardless of any sugar-raising medication.
Always stay in touch with your medical help. If you encounter any symptoms of raising sugar levels, immediately seek their help. Life would be much better if we take care of every single thing related to our health.
Noticeable here is whenever we go to our doctor, along with the set of symptoms, he would ask for the regular medicines we are swallowing.
Equally important to note that alcohol usage should be checked as alcohol leads to incline blood sugar level tremendously. Moreover, even general medicines like aspirin would enhance hyperglycaemia. Medicines are taken with the proper consultation of the doctor could refrain you from being hyperglycaemic and hence assist further in having heart diseases.
On the whole, it is imperative to use medicines only for our better looking tomorrow.